top of page

Travel to Greece


Find here a guide with the most important information and tips to organize better your trip and make the most out of it with the hassle!

Portrait woman travelling world using map and tablet standing in a village in Greece looking happy

Health & Safety issues

Yellow Lightbulb

If your country of origin is an EU member-state make sure you are a holder of the European Health Card (EHIC) or any other legal EU document issued by your nation’s social security agency.


In such cases, the necessary treatment in Greece is provided by the following: the Social Security Institute Health Units (polyclinics) or doctor’s offices in the region Regional Clinics (former rural clinics) or the Health Centres of the National Health System the outpatients' departments of the hospitals.


If your country of origin is not an EU member-state, make sure you have consulted your social security agency for information before travelling.

Emergency Phone Numbers
Yellow Lightbulb





210 77 93 777




PET HOSPITAL:  210 6038023 - 24 - 28 (Attica Region).

Yellow Lightbulb

Travel Documents, Passport & Visa


In order to visit Greece you need to have the following travel documents: 

ID card

in the case that your country of origin is a signatory to the Schengen Agreement, you may use your national ID to enter the country and you may stay for a three-month period. In these cases, a passport is not necessary, although you will need it in a variety of other transactions, including currency exchange, shopping etc.


If your country is not a member of the Schengen Agreement, make sure you obtain further information from the Greek Embassy or Consulate in your country before your trip, or from your travel agency. In case you travel with Visa, make sure you also have suitable insurance coverage for emergency medical or other needs.



If your country of origin is one of the following non-EU countries, your passport allows you to visit Greece and remain in the country for up to three months (90 days) within a six-month period: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Vatican, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Singapore, South Korea, USA, Uruguay, Venezuela. Find out more on the official webpage of the Hellenic Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Yellow Lightbulb

Use of Electronic Devices

Electric power voltage in Greece is 230 V / 50 Hz and the plugs are F type.


To avoid the danger of short circuit, make sure to have in your suitcase the necessary transformers / adaptors for your electronic devices or make sure that this will be provided by the relevant socket.

Yellow Lightbulb



Greece is a Member-State of the European Union and uses its uniform currency – the Euro.

Greece, as is the case with the other Member-States of the E.U. uses eight coins as follows: 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 cents or lepta in Greek and 1 and 2 Euros. The banknotes are issued in the following denominations: 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500 Euros.


Currency exchange rates are clearly displayed in every bank that accepts currency exchange, while credit card holders may acquire money from the ATMs of the collaborating banks.


Greek banks are open for the public from 8:00 to 14:30 Mondays to Thursdays and from 8:00 to 13:30 on Fridays. They are closed on Public Holidays.


Euros can also be exchanged for notes of other foreign currencies at exchange offices that are situated at the airport and certain main ports, in the larger cities, as well as at many tourist destinations.


A passport is required when exchanging currencies.

bottom of page